Urgent Care


Urgent Care Specialist

At Kids Dental, located in the Hudson Heights area of New York City, the experienced pediatric dentists are available and experienced in handling just about every dental urgent care need a child may have. From a knocked out tooth to a laceration of the gum, Kids Dental team can help.

Urgent Care Q & A

What exactly is dental urgent care?

Urgent care is available to offer immediate treatment for such dental emergencies as broken or chipped teeth, painful abscesses or severe toothaches. Immediate treatment can prevent serious complications and, possibly, permanent damage (such as tooth loss), hospitalization or costly repairs. Kids Dental is committed to offering prompt treatment to reduce anxiety and distress for our young patients.

What should I do if my child loses an adult tooth?

Over five million permanent teeth are knocked out every year. For best results in replanting a dislodged tooth, parents should keep the tooth moist until reaching the dentist. It should be gently rinsed, not scrubbed. If possible, the tooth should be placed back into the socket without touching the root. The tooth’s root can be damaged easily and those cells are needed for reattachment. If the tooth can not be placed back into the socket, then have your child store it in his or her the mouth, or immerse it in milk or saliva and wrap it in a clean cloth.

What about the premature loss of a baby tooth?

Unlike permanent teeth, baby teeth should not be put back in the socket when knocked out prematurely. Doing so can negatively impact the permanent tooth underneath.

What should I do if my child cracks or chips a tooth?

If your child cracks a tooth, immediately rinse his or her mouth with warm water and place a cold compress on the appropriate area of the face to minimize swelling, then come in for an urgent care appointment. Minor fractures can often be smoothed by the dentist or may require a composite restoration. A more significant fracture that damages the enamel, dentin and or pulp, may require a permanent crown. If a tooth is chipped and you have the chip, moisten it with a couple of drops of water, then wrap the chip in gauze, place it inside a plastic bag and take it to the dentist immediately.